I am an Indian communications professional currently working as an in-house copywriter/editor/media liaison resource at a financial communications-focused public relations agency in Hong Kong (find me on LinkedIn here; here’s my CV). I am also a storyteller in Hong Kong and I have been a screenwriter and line producer at an independent production house in Singapore. Over the past decade, I have worked as a journalist covering private equity and venture capital activity in India and Southeast Asia, corporate finance dealing with CFOs in Singapore and Hong Kong and sports across Southeast Asia. I am a creative, empathetic, loyal, friendly and diligent worker who loves cross-cultural settings and I like to help out in every way I can. Since I left India in 2000 (I have lived in Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia and Hong Kong), I believe I have a global perspective yet I am anchored by strong Asian values.
Some of my bylines
- At Asian Venture Capital Journal, I wrote 300 articles in just over 150 days interviewing more than 140 people in nearly eight months but I was laid off as a result of cost-cutting measures due to the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic
- I wrote about Jio Platforms long before Facebook and Google invested in the Indian subsidiary of Reliance Industries (March 2020). A follow-up article explains better what Jio Platforms is trying to do. Basically, they’re trying to create the WeChat/Alipay equivalent in India
- I wrote three good stories narrating the history of three separate firms – DSG Consumer Partners looks for upcoming consumer brands in India, Gaja Capital bats for the underdogs while Gobi Partners hails from China and is now firmly focused on Southeast Asia
- I wrote about India’s edtech sector as it was heating up in 2020
- I wrote about the life of a Chinese imam in Hong Kong
- I wrote about how the process of due diligence (is this start-up really as good as it says it is?) was affected by the COVID-19 pandemic (July 2020)
- Back at university, I interviewed long-term backpackers who don’t seem to want to stop traveling
- I have looked into why elderly Chinese from the Northeast migrate like snowbirds during the winter
Previously, I have written for Corporate Treasurer (the articles were about a very niche topic in finance), Quartz, Hong Kong Free Press and Fox Sports Asia. In 2015, I went back home, backpacked for a year and then set up the corporate communications department at an Indian nonprofit. I studied economics at the National University of Singapore and I completed a master’s programme in journalism at the University of Hong Kong. I am studying Chinese and will undertake the CFA Level I exam in August.
- I also scripted, helped carry out casting for and produced five independent short films in Singapore (here’s a two-minute film called ‘Morning Beauty‘ that might be worth watching). The experience taught me what it’s like to work as part of a video production unit
- I am also a storyteller and I perform spoken word stories with the Hong Kong-based storytelling group Hong Kong Stories
I speak English, Hindi, Tulu, Kannada and a smattering of Chinese and Indonesian. In the past, I have studied Spanish as well. I live in North Point in Hong Kong.
Getting in touch